Principal Optical EngineerApply Now
Country:United States of America
Location:HMA03: ISR Systems - Westford HO 7 Technology Park Drive, Westford, MA, 01886 USA
This position is for an experienced Lead Optical Engineer leading one or more ISR-related programs at our Westford, MA facility. In this role, you will work with other engineering disciplines to refine/determine optical requirements and perform optical design and analysis using industry standard software (Zemax or CODEV) for high altitude remote sensing applications.
- Serve as lead Optical Engineer on one or more ISR-related programs.
- Derive optical specifications from system performance requirements.
- Define wavefront error budgets for component and system-level performance.
- Follow prototype designs from conception through manufacture.
- Create and/or supervise optics-related technical documentation for production; including coating specifications, alignment specifications, and acceptance test procedures.
- Work with optics vendors to eliminate manufacturability issues on prototype and production systems.
- Support design and implementation of optical assembly/alignment tooling.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to new and current company products.
- Mentor and help train junior Optical Engineers.
- Stay abreast of current industry trends and techniques relating to optical design, imaging, microscopy and precision alignment.
Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of relevant experience OR
Advance degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR
In absence of a degree, 14 years of relevant experience is required
- Experience with Electro-Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) optical systems
- 5+ years of experience with Zemax or Code V Optical Design Software
- Experience with MATLAB or Python
- Experience in optical metrology
- Experience in optical alignment using interferometry, alignment telescopes, and theodolites
- Willingness and ability to work both individually and alongside a multi-disciplined, dynamic project team
- Strong working knowledge of stray light issues in remote sensing applications
- Understanding of optical fabrication techniques including machined, molded and diffractive optics.
- Good technical documentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with FRED Optical Engineering Software or Zemax Optic Studio Non-Sequential Software
- Experience with MetroPro and 4Sight Optical Metrology Software
- Experience with Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) or Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
- Experience with Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI) or Wide Area Motion Imagery (WAMI) systems.
- Analytical modeling capabilities in Matlab or equivalent
- Familiarity with Creo or SolidWorks CAD software
- M.S in Optical Engineering, Physics, Astronomy or related
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Must have the ability to obtain a Security Clearance
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? At Collins Aerospace, our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions — whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you’ll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today.
We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems or creating a positive in-flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Collins Aerospace Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success.We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
Life insurance and disability coverage
Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
Best Doctors, second opinion program
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Your Saved Jobs
- You have not saved any jobs
Recently Viewed Jobs
- You have not viewed any jobs.