Sr. Engineering Manager, Advanced Radio Systems (R&D)Apply Now
Country:United States of America
Location:HIA32: Cedar Rapids, IA 400 Collins Rd NE , Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-0505 USA
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? At Collins Aerospace, our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions — whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you’ll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today.
Senior Engineering Manager, Advanced Radio Systems Core Component Tech (R&D)
Our goal is to create technologies that allow Collins to differentiate our products from the competitors’ and create new market opportunities through innovation. That means we need to take risks that, if successful, could lead to large rewards. We’re presently creating state-of-the-art electronics, including: phased array SATCOM terminals that provide global internet connectivity, multifunction reconfigurable RF front-ends, and modular UAV radios for communication, radar, and electronic warfare.
Lead a diverse team of talented engineers in research & development in microelectronics radio frequency (RF)/microwave/millimeter wave technology.
Job Responsibilities and Underlying Tasks:
- Hire engineers to complement and supplement team trajectory
- Responsible for onboarding and assimilation of new hires
- Assigns resources to work assignments
- Lead team members through pursuit, order, capture activities for externally-funded R&D
- Coach team members in principal investigator (PI) role for research
- Coach employees in design & development process
- Recommend projects for independent research & development investments
- Interfaces with external agencies, internal customers, tool vendors, and partner organizations within the company to ensure effective two-way communication of needs and results
- Collaborate with product development personnel throughout the business unit and RTX to transition technology into our future product offerings
- Development of internal and external networks, forging relationships with peers in the triad (Engineering, Business Development, and Program/Product management.)
- Interface with engineers and value stream leaders from multiple product lines to understand technology needs
- Leverage advanced principles, theories, and concepts of complex technical subjects to provide direction for employees
- Apply critical thinking to solve complex problems and explore new ideas/approaches
- Manages individual talent and is responsible for a team of contributors
- Collaborate and work with others to find the best possible solution
- Actively addresses employee performance and development issues
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and controlling responsibilities for team
- Responsible for the development and technical coaching of staff
- Maintains awareness of technology within the domains of integrated circuits and microeletronics packaging
- Ensure time and attendance are correctly recorded for the team
- Translate RF component performance to impact on radio system performance
- Present technology concepts to customers/subcontractors
- Lead continuous improvement projects that result in new approaches and techniques to product development
- Lead and monitor performance of assigned project tasks (including technical, cost, schedule, design to cost, product integrity and manufacturability)
- Up to 15% travel to domestic and internationally
- Passion for challenging and developing people
- Customer focused
- Familiarity with US Government bidding process
- Demonstrated ability to design, layout, and analyze using RF/microwave tools such as Keysight ADS, NI Microwave Office, Cadence Virtuouso, SPICE, or SystemVue
- Must be able to complete meaningful work in the absence of complete specifications and help create component requirements as a work in progress
- Excellent verbal/written communication and teamwork skills
- Demonstrated technical knowledge/expertise in multiple technologies
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot problems while integrating components or subassemblies
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, and data-driven decision-making
- Experience in generating test plans, leading verification campaigns, writing test reports, and briefing customers
- Experience in identifying, communicating, and mitigating risks
- Knowledgeable of industry trends within his/her domain
- Demonstrated ability to work in a creative, as well as practical problem solving environment
- Ability to peer review component/system requirements.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate discipline and 8 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience.In the absence of a degree, 12 years of relevant experience is required.
- US Citizenship is required
- Ability to obtain DoD Security Clearance is required
- Experience in design and analysis of passive and active phased array hardware, firmware, software
- Experience in multi-physics phenomena and application such as plasma, acoustics, magnetics, fluids, etc.
- Experience in microelectronics packaging and thermal analysis/cooling approaches.
- Bid & proposal resulting in successful capture of funding
- Experience with environmental effects testing
- Understanding earned value management, prior cost account management preferred.
Working Conditions: This position requires domestic travel up to 15% of the time. Work hours are typically Monday-Friday with very occasional weekends required. Work can take place in an office environment and microelectronics laboratory.
Supervision: The Sr Engineering Manager will direct work activities for his/her team and will task supporting technicians, drafting, and project support staff. The Sr Engineering Manager will work collaboratively with component designers and other multi-disciplinary engineers. The Sr Engineering Manager is led by the Associate Director for RF Systems who is led by the Executive Director for Mission Systems Advanced Technology.
Physical Demands: This position does not require physically strenuous activities such as lifting, carrying pushing, or pulling.
Relation to Other Jobs: The Sr Engineering Manager leads a team of engineers. He/she will work with other engineering managers and a team of technicians. The Sr Engineering Manager must collaborate with internal and external customers, peer engineers, finance, and leadership.
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• And more
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Your Saved Jobs
- You have not saved any jobs
Recently Viewed Jobs
- You have not viewed any jobs.